HTA Publishes Community-Based Tourism Management Plan for Kauai
For Immediate Release: February 5, 2021
HTA Release (21-04)
HONOLULU – The Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA) has published the 2021-2023 Kauai Destination Management Action Plan (DMAP). It is part of HTA’s strategic vision and continuing efforts to manage tourism in a responsible and regenerative manner. Developed by the residents of Kauai, and in partnership with the County of Kauai and Kauai Visitors Bureau, the DMAP serves as a guide to rebuild, redefine and reset the direction of tourism on the Garden Island. It identifies areas of need as well as solutions for enhancing the residents’ quality of life and improving the visitor experience.
The community-based plan focuses on key actions that the community, visitor industry and other sectors deem necessary over a three-year period. The actions are organized by the four interacting pillars of HTA’s Strategic Plan – Natural Resources, Hawaiian Culture, Community and Brand Marketing:
Respect for Natural and Cultural Resources
- Focus policy efforts on appropriate behavior that will instill value in both visitors and residents for natural and cultural resources (malama aina).
- Collaborate with the State of Hawai‘i Department of Land and Natural Resources to develop and implement policies to increase monitoring and enforcement efforts.
- Invest in Hawaiian cultural programs and identify funding sources that enhance the visitor experience and connect both tourism and communities.
- Focus policies that address overtourism by managing people while on Kauai.
- Encourage low-impact green rides to improve the visitor experience, reduce island traffic, increase small business opportunities, and meet climate action goals.
- Increase communication, engagement and outreach efforts with the community, visitor industry, and other sectors.
- Develop educational materials for visitors and new residents to have respect for local cultural values.
- Promote “Shop Local” to visitors and residents.
- Support diversification of other sectors.